1 someone whose employment involves carrying something; "the bonds were transmitted by carrier" [syn: carrier, toter]
2 a messenger who bears or presents; "a bearer of good tidings"
3 one of the mourners carrying the coffin at a funeral [syn: pallbearer]
4 the person who is in possession of a check or note or bond or document of title that is endorsed to him or to whoever holds it; "the bond was marked `payable to bearer'" [syn: holder]
- In the context of "generally": One who bears.
- Someone who helps carry the coffin or a dead body during a funeral procession.
- A domestic servant in India.
- 1888, Rudyard Kipling, ‘Watches of the Night’, Plain Tales from
the Hills, Folio 2005, p. 60:
- The bar of the watch-guard worked through the buttonhole, and the watch—Platte's watch—slid quietly on to the carpet; where the bearer found it next morning and kept it.
- 1888, Rudyard Kipling, ‘Watches of the Night’, Plain Tales from the Hills, Folio 2005, p. 60:
A bearer is someone who bears or carries something, momentarily or in a more systematical sense; e.g.:
Aquarius, Ganymede, Hebe, advocate, alpenstock, arm, athletic supporter, back, backbone, backing, bandeau, bheesty, boy, bra, brace, bracer, bracket, brassiere, busboy, buttress, caddie, cane, cargo handler, carrier, carrier pigeon, carter, cervix, common carrier, conveyer, coolie, corset, courier, crook, crutch, cupbearer, drayman, emissary, envoy, express, expressman, foundation garment, freighter, fulcrum, girdle, griever, gun bearer, guy, guywire, hauler, homing pigeon, internuncio, jock, jockstrap, keener, lamenter, letter carrier, litter-bearer, mainstay, maintainer, mast, mourner, mute, neck, pallbearer, porter, professional mourner, prop, redcap, reinforce, reinforcement, reinforcer, rest, resting place, rigging, shield-bearer, shoulder, shroud, skycap, spine, sprit, staff, standing rigging, stave, stay, stevedore, stick, stiffener, strengthener, stretcher-bearer, support, supporter, sustainer, the Water Bearer, transporter, truck driver, trucker, upholder, wagoner, walking stick, water boy, water carrier